Handbuilding and Surface Decoration Intensive
In this fun and intensive workshop we will be making functional, hand-built forms focusing on surface decoration and adding embellishments: such as springs, handles, sculpted flowers and animals. We will be using Sgraffito, Mishima, slip trailing, stamps, rollers and underglaze transfers to create complex and exciting layered surface designs. We will begin on Monday making a few pieces for Saturday's Raku Party. Then, we will move on to creating our own texture tools and templates. We will then make a series of functional, hand-built pieces working from simpler forms to more complex pieces that will challenge everyone's skills.
During this workshop we will be making:
- Slab Plates with sprig molded embellishments and Mishima inlay
- Cups and mugs with sculpted floral and leaf elements and slip trailing
- Composite vases made up of 4 parts with springs, handles, underglaze decals and Sgraffito
- Animal figure pedestal bowl with handles
- Ceramic quilt wall piece that is a sampler of all the different surface decoration techniques we will be using
Monday, June 15th - Friday, June 19th
Optional Raku Party on Saturday, June 20th
Clayscapes Pottery, Inc.
1003 West Fayette Street
Syracuse, NY 13204
Included: light breakfast and lunch every day, all clay and glaze, basic tools.
An email including hotels, restaurants and an optional tool list will be sent after you sign up.